MARTINIAN & ASSOCIATES, INC. – Los Angeles, California
Litigation Paralegal 09/2012 – present
· Actively supported a team of attorneys in all aspects of personal injury and medical malpractice matters, working under pressure in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment:
– Performed extensive case analysis and evaluations and utilized the results to prepare demand and claim letters
– Performed legal research, and summarized statutory and case law
Drafted pleadings, motions, mediation and arbitration briefs, case/issue specific discovery, and responses to discovery requests
– Prepared and filed petitions and orders for judges’ signatures, and obtained approvals of compromise of disputed claims
– Provided legal and administrative assistance for mediations, depositions, and trials.
MEDICUS RESEARCH, LLC – Agoura Hills, California
Paralegal (part time) – 10/2013 – 12/2013
· Consulted on structuring IP transactions for licensing of a mobile-device technology system designed for real time study data acquisition and monitoring in clinical trials.
· Revised and negotiated clinical trial agreements, consulting agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
ZUBER LAWLER & DEL DUCA, LLP – Los Angeles, California
Transactional Paralegal (part time) – 5/2013 – 8/2013
· Reviewed over a hundred IT hardware procurement contracts, software licensing, support and maintenance agreements of a major utility company in Southern California, Sempra Energy and its affiliates.
· Conducted contract analysis with primary focus on specific contractual provisions and summarized contractual rights and obligations for database input (MS Excel).
IXIA, IINC. – Calabasas, California
Paralegal – 2/2012 – 8/2012
· Reviewed and provided redlined recommendations for in-bound and outbound software license agreements, non-disclosure agreements, professional services agreements, international distribution and value-added-reseller agreements.
· Responsible for maintaining and updating of the contract database:
– Aggregated over a thousand technology related agreements into a searchable contract database and developed an electronic contracts management system to track status, renewals, compliance, and other data concerning the company’s agreements
– Analyzed contracts for potential risks such as ambiguities, omissions, and uninsurable exposures, and drafted recommendations to eliminate or mitigate potential risks, inputting the analysis into the contract database.
ARMENTEL, JSC (OTE / VIMPELCOM) – Yerevan, Armenia
Director, Legal Affairs – 03/2005 – 12/2007
· Hired to manage litigation-related work, but promoted to Director, Legal Affairs within 4 months of joining the organization.
· Led the legal team of the company in a transition of telecommunications market from monopoly to a competitive business, and managed all aspects of corporate legal activities.
· Served as the primary legal point of contact for legal due diligence in a €341.9 million acquisition of 90% of shares of the company by VimpelCom (NYSE symbol: VIP), and provided support and guidance on all legal aspects of the acquisition transaction, including managing virtual data room, organizing closing, and participating in post-closing integration efforts.
· Overall management responsibility for the contract process.
· Took primary responsibility for complex and high-risk litigation cases:
– Successfully opposed the subscribers’ claim for damages for fraudulent billing by establishing that the contested calls were generated by a malicious software
– Halted loss of $600,000 in annual revenue by convincing the court that provision of international call services through Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) violates company’s exclusive rights.
INTELINVEST, LLC – Yerevan, Armenia
Principal Attorney – 04/2000 – 03/2005; 01/2008 – 07/2009
· Built practice with diverse clients and practice areas.
· Handled commercial disputes in a wide variety of substantive areas including antitrust/competition, contract, and employment, representing clients during the pre-litigation, litigation process of cases, and acting as both defense counsel and plaintiff’s counsel.
· Provided broad range of legal representation to foreign investors, including managing large-scale due diligence assignments:
– Conducted IP due diligence for the Armenian subsidiary of California-based Heuristic Phisics Laboratories, in connection with IPO of the parent company in the U.S., and issued a legal opinion
– Served as local counsel to U.S. based law firm of Chadbourn & Parke, in preparation of international tender for privatization of electricity distribution network in Armenia
– Counseled Bearing Point in a USAID financed project on Armenia’s Commercial Law and Economic Regulation
– Acted for Marriott in negotiations of a mortgage agreement to secure financing for a hotel renovation in Armenia.
HSBC BANK – Yerevan, Armenia
In-House Counsel 01/1996 – 07/1997
· Advised senior management on complex legal issues pertaining to banking, such as payment systems, bank confidentiality, foreign exchange control and secured transactions.
· Drafted legal documents pertaining to regulatory compliance, collaborated with the Association of Banks; authored comment letters on regulatory proposals.
· Established boilerplate contract templates, negotiated loan agreements, guaranties and mortgage contracts.
· Researched and analyzed borrower titles to property used in securing loans and issued legal opinions.
(BPC § 6450)
MASTER OF LAWS 2010
Southwestern Law School
Los Angeles, California
TRANSNATIONAL BUSINESS LAW 1999
McGeorge School Of Law Sacramento, California
COMMERCIAL LAW 1994
Queen Mary & Westfield College
London, United Kingdom
Transnational Business Practice